How Do I Vote In The Local Body Elections?

STEP 1: Make sure you are enrolled to vote

i) You have to be 18 to be able to enrol to vote

ii) You can enrol or check your enrollment details at secure.elections.org.nz/app/enrol/

iii) You must enrol by the 16th August 2013 in order to receive your voting papers by post. If you enrol after this date then you must cast a ‘special vote’.

iv) You can cast a special vote by contacting Hutt City Council’s election officer. This is Bruce Hodgins. Contact Bruce at bruce.hodgins@huttcity.govt.nz or call 570 6666


STEP 2: It’s not the same as parliamentary elections. You vote by post in local body

i) You will receive your voting papers between 20-25th of September

ii) Your voting papers will include elections for the following positions:

1) Mayoralty of Lower Hutt City

2) Councillor Elections in your Council Ward – I.e. Wainuiomata Ward

3) Community Board for your area

4) Greater Wellington Regional Council – Lower Hutt Constituency

5) Hutt Valley DHB

6) Hutt Mana Charitable Trust

You will also receive a ‘candidates booklet’ with blurbs on each candidate.


STEP 3: Once you have completed your voting forms send it back!

i) There will be an envelope to return your voting papers in

ii) You can return your voting papers by posting it back or by taking it to your local library

iii) Your voting papers must be returned by the 12th October. So it is important that you send your papers back at least 3-4 days before then. You should aim to send it away by the 8th of October at the lastest


TIP: Vote as soon as you get your voting papers, and return them straight away. It’s easy to forget once you put them aside!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *